Sunday, March 29, 2009

Childhood Stories

It all started on a rainy day. I was walking from the LRT to my house amidst the pouring rain and I was about to make a dash for it when I started to ask myself, "When was the last time I had the chance to play in the rain?"

I remember it was back in the Philippines and in those times playing in the rain was something I could have always done but did not do often. In fact I remember only one instance when I did and I distinctly remember thinking that it was crazy but I want to do it. I wanted to do it but was rather scared because I was not very adventurous back then. I remember asking for permission if I could play in the rain.

Some days passed after that little walk down memory lane and I started to think back more about my childhood and this question popped up in my head: What do you think your friends here in Singapore did as children?

I realized then that because of cultural differences, their experiences of growing up in Singapore would be different from my own and a curiosity rose up in me to find out about it. I was pretty sure that growing up in Singapore meant more than just eating duck rice, eating pastries and playing soccer...

Hence, began my quest for the answer to this question: What is it like growing up in Singapore?

I often get stunned reactions when I ask this question so I always have to rephrase it: What are the things that you did when you were young?

Through asking this question I began to know more about my friends and what they were like before and I came to the conclusion that even though the country they grew up in is the same, the experiences are vastly different and even though our countries are different, there are some similar experiences.

Through the recounts of past experiences I began to remember memories of my own that I thought I had forgotten and by asking about others, I was able to remember more of myself and even laugh at myself at some of the things I did.

I hope that as I continue to ask others that I'll know them just a little bit more and be reminded of my own past because through that, I get to know myself just a little bit better too.

No comments: