Sunday, December 04, 2005

Jump

I recently went for this CCA team-building and confidence camp organised by SA's ODAC.

The teacher in charge said that we all know what we were there for. We were there to learn about cooperation, team-work, and confidence. Duh. So he wanted us to go through the experience and looking out to learn other stuff that are not included in the name of the camp.

Things that I learned at the camp:
1. Chicken Briyani is not Curry Chicken.
2. Always bring your own water bottle for this kind of things.
3. Just because it looks like Ribena does not mean it tastes like Ribena. (more like purple water)
4. Most important. I should have joined ODAC. Because ODAC has nice flowers. Very much like a garden.

Ok, on a more serious note. We had to do high elements, I tried this one where I had to jump from a high plank to a hanging bar. Everytime I saw people do it on TV, I would tell myself that I can do it. I always see people try to jump for that hanging bar and miss. I always see how people are even too afraid to jump and they just fall without even trying to jump. Some even close their eyes and jump and expect to be able to grab onto the bar. How can you grab the bar when your eyes are closed?!?

Being up there myself, I felt a little bit scared. I hesitated for a moment. My CCA kinda knows me as this daring guy cause when they made Chung Chi Mih Mah soup (in case I did not spell it correctly, I'm referring to the "mixture" that people make with their leftovers and they use it to play the Secret Number game) I dare to drink it - or at least take a sip out of it.

Anyway, they were all telling me not be scared and that it was safe. I knew I could jump. I guess what I was more concerned about was that I might not reach the bar. Before I even went up there, I was saying that I could easily jump and grab that bar, but being there itself, it really felt like I could not. Maybe it was more of a fear of losing face. Super malu if I say I can jump and then suddenly miss the chance.

I also knew that I only had one chance at that thing. It was quite tedius to get into the gear and everything and also a lot of others wanted a turn at the thing. One chance to nail it and I was afraid to do it. Until I remembered that I was not alone. Not only were my belieghers ready in case I did not reach the bar, I had Jesus with me.

I remembered that I told Him that I do not want to do things by myself anymore. If it is not Him who will do it through me, then forget it. I do not care if people say I am nothing without God. I would rather be everything because He is with me than to try to be something by myself. So what if I did not do it myself? I know that He will never leave me and that He will always help through everything. Even if it was just a small leap.

Right there and then I told Him, "It's all you, Lord," and I leapt.

The most important lessong that I learned that day is that He always has my back. Even in the smallest things. That is why I know I can count on Him for the bigger things as well. He will be with me in every other "leap" that I might take, and I know that He will hold onto that bar with me.

-----

Johnny (guitar club president) and John wants to join ODAC.

No comments: