Wednesday, September 09, 2009

A Reason to Set Sail

As I set out to brave the waters, navigating from the island to the archipelago I ask myself why venture into the unfamiliar waters when it is much more convenient to remain on the island.

There is enough provision and enough amusement and to remain is rather comfortable.

Yet even with questions I press on in my temporary craft, probably to prove the adage that, "No man is an island". Somehow the reason does not satisfy.

Satisfy. Quite truly I am satisfied enough but I realize that the Carpenter who made my vessel wants me to have more than I can ever ask, think or imagine.

The journey then is not to seek out adventure and camaraderie for their own sake but in doing so I am finding the treasures that He left behind and to know more of Him because He sailed through the same waters, even stormy ones, and was always above it all.

In that place is not merely a cluster of islands but also a cluster of fellow voyagers sailing towards one common destination. The voyage is much better enjoyed in convoy, where there is protection.

I look up and look up at the mast and the sail on as the winds of faith continue to blow.

No comments: