Friday, May 15, 2009

Much Ado About Nothing

Thoroughly enjoyed Shakespeare in the Park: Much Ado About Nothing.

Shakespeare is such a brilliant playwright. Watching the play makes has sparked my curiosity in this particle genre of Shakespearean play. Shakespeare is usually known for the tragedy: Romeo and Juliet. I must admit that my expectation on Much Ado About Nothing was pretty much influenced by Shakespeare's tragedy Othello which I studied in JC (Fie on thee, vile Iago. Dost thou taintest mine expectations.) Most of the time I was expecting the play to end with a horrible and tragic twist that I forgot that Shakespearean comedy can actually end happily (totally forgot about Twelfth Night, the comedy that I studied in Secondary School).

Nevertheless, it maybe because there was a happy ending that I enjoyed the play so much. It really has sparked off my interest in Shakespeare and I'm so glad that it's related to my course of study.

I must have been so influenced by the play that I had dreams where the language was Shakespearean English (or as Alvin Lim explains, 'Modern English'). Two guys were talking in my dream and the conversation went something like this...

*1st guy walks up to 2nd guy*

1st Guy: A penny for your thoughts?
2nd Guy: Oh, but if thou only knowest mine thoughts, ye would have no need for a penny.

I can't remember who I was dreaming off but the language really made me laugh. I feel like I'm in Shakespearean language-thought mode now.

This morning my mom asked me to entertain the kids that will be coming over for the adults' caregroup that is going to be held at my house tonight. She said, "Play with the kids lah," and in my head I was thinking, "Are they toys at which they should be played?"

It's kinda fun though. And now I have this question: If Shakespeare's English is considered 'Modern English', then pray tell me what our English is called? My guess is that it's called '21st Century English'.

On another note, I am shocked but glad that Kris Allen has made it into the finals for American Idol. Woohoo! Really thought Gokey would be the one to face off against Lambert. Really hopes Kris Allen wins the title. Lambert can have a music career even without it.

------

"I do love nothing in this world so well as you. Is that not strange?"

I loved the adaptation done for this line peformed by Adrian Pang. Shakespeare's plays are really meant to be watched and not just read.

No comments: