Monday, October 08, 2007

Shut Up and Let Daddy Drive

When I was much younger I remember riding at the backseat of our car. As I was only a passenger I was not worried about the rules of the road or which way to go. I would simply just sit back, rest, and enjoy the ride.

Now that I am older I realized that that part of being just a passenger has changed. Even as I take a ride in the front passenger seat of Emmel and my Dad is driving, I would sometimes tell him to signal left or right, or to slow down because the traffic light is turning red. I realized that I have become a "back-seat driver".

Knowing that there are traffic rules, I fear that maybe my Dad would break them (and he has beaten a few red lights already). I find that my ride which could be more restful is full of worry. I wish I could take the wheel and drive the car myself. It was then that I remembered those childhood memories of being able to sleep peacefully at the backseat on those long journeys. How carefree I was not worrying about the rules or about getting lost.

If I put all my trust in the driver, I will not have to worry so much - I can enjoy the journey. If life is a journey, who is driving? I believe Daddy God is driving. However, there are times when we simply cannot sit still and enjoy the ride. We want to take the wheel and show that our way is better. If only we could be restful and just let God drive. He knows the way and He is a safe driver, but He is also fun-loving.

I remember my own Dad driving fast on an elevated slope in the long highway that leads up to the mountain city of Baguio in the Philippines. He accelerated off the short slope and for a nano-second the car felt like it was flying. Oh, it beat every roller coaster that I had taken at that time. The journey will not be boring. He knows every route, he knows which way has a nice view. He knows how to have fun and still keep the passengers safe.

If God is at the wheel then is there really any need to worry?

No comments: