Monday, February 19, 2007

Ambidextrous

Not many people can brag about being left-handed. I like the idea of being one of the few who can call themselves "lefties".

However, I sometimes doubt whether or not I'm really left-handed. Sure, I write with my left hand, but who ever made the rule that a person's master hand is based on which hand they use to write. Maybe there is no such rule but people are usually associated with their master hand by which hand they use to write.

That raises the question of those who claim to be left-handed but because for some reason were forced by parents (or grandparents) to write using the right hand. It's as if being left-handed was such a bad thing. Maybe that's the reason why right is "right"? The word itself suggests that being left is wrong because it's not right.

I sometimes question my master hand orientation. True, I write with my left hand and I brush my teeth with my left hand, and I play Time Crisis with my left hand but for other things, I seem to be comfortable using my right hand. I throw balls with my right hand, I use a spoon with my right hand, I use a mouse with my right hand - I seem to use my right hand more than my left. There are just some functions that I feel awkward using my left hand and vice-versa.

I tried shooting at the range with my right hand because using the left hand is so troublesome - we need to get a deflector thing if we use our left hand. Furthermore, I found out that my master eye is actually my right eye and not the left so if I used my left hand to shoot, I would be aiming with my "weaker" eye. I managed to pass the marksmanship practice that day but my right hand was in pain after that. In terms of strength, I always thought my right hand was stronger because the muscles on my right arm are bigger than the left. However, I decided to switch to shooting with my left hand and surprisingly, it did not hurt at all afterwards. Problem is that I didn't do so well at aiming and had to retake the practice drills. Praise God that I managed to pass that.

Another problem that arose is during throwing of hand grenades. For the first practice, I decided to throw with my left hand despite the awkwardness of it. Sure enough, the dummy grenade did not go far. In fact it was practically a few feet away. My left hand throwing lacks the proper technique because I never really used my left hand for throwing things. On the next practice, I threw with my right hand and the dummy grenade flew far just fine.

I like to think that I'm ambidextrous and therefore not confined to a single master hand orientation. I theorize that my left hand is more nimble when it comes to the fingers hence writing and tooth brushing. My right hand is more adept at the palm area hence throwing, clutching, punching, slapping.

The point of all that? Just bored.

No comments: