Thursday, November 30, 2006

A Childhood Memory

I awoke and realized that I had fallen asleep during the journey. It was already night time. I drowsily looked around the car. Dad was not in the driver's seat and Mom was not in the front passenger seat.

We must have arrived.

I looked to my left and saw Jonas sound asleep. I crawled towards him slowly as much as my little toddler hands and feet could. I shook him.

"Kuya, wake up. Daddy and Mama are gone."

He awoke a little grouchy and he looked around.

"They must have gone ahead to Grandpa and Grandma's house," he said. "Let's go find them."

We stepped out of the car. I tightened my leather jacket to shield myself from the cold dark night. There was a gathering of people in front of the car. It looked like a party. I looked around and the area looked unfamiliar.

"Where are we?" I asked.

"They must have parked a way off from Grandpa and Grandma's house. See? This street is the street that leads to the house." He pointed down towards the other way where it looked dark and empty.

The street was starting to look familiar. From the size of the street, it did seem like the familiar street. If we just walked further, we would reach the right turn to the main street and so the path to Grandpa and Grandma's house should be at the left side of the street.

I hesitated after looking down that dark and empty path. It seemed misty to my little mind with a wild imagination.

I did not dare walk towards the darkness. At that moment, I felt something warm in my hand.

"Let's go."

I looked up. My brother was holding my hand. He smiled and I felt safe. Together we walked down that dark street. The two of us with just our leather jackets to protect us from the cold.

As we walked, the mist seemed to clear away just as darkness runs away from light. We were reaching the right turn which meant the left pathway would soon be there. I had the image in my mind, there was a big path on the left but before that is the small path leading to the house. We would soon be there, nice and warm and safe.

The street started to turn to the right. We were almost there. To my horror, there was no large path to the left neither was there a small path. A big brick wall curved the street leading to the main street to the right.

We were lost.

I would have cried right there and then. But a hand was holding mine.

"Let's go back to the car."

I nodded. Teary-eyed, I walked on with my brother. As we were walking back, he noticed an entry way to the left. It led to the main street.

"It's the church!" He exclaimed.

The church! That church that we always passed when going to our grandparents' house. From the church we would know the way. We walked towards it but the main street was busy with activity. The cars were zooming past.

Two little boys would not be able to cross safely. My brother saw two ladies who looked like they were going to cross. He casually approached them and with his innate charm, he asked whether they could help two cute little boys cross the street.

As we crossed, a man came from the other side and saw us.

"There you are! Your parents have been looking for you."

The man thanked the ladies and he brought us back to the car but instead of the car he brought us to the gathering in front of the car. It was a party. There were so many visitors that the party extended into the street.

We were soon led to our parents. I was so relieved as they hugged us both.

I glanced at my brother and he glanced back with a smile.

I looked up at my parents. "Can we go home now?" I asked.

No comments: