Sunday, July 30, 2006

My Weird Day

Today started out as a normal Sunday. From breakfast to church service to lunch, everything was normal even when I boarded the shuttle bus to City Hall.

I sat down at the second row of the left aisle of the bus as I wanted to alight easily when the bus reaches City Hall.

An old lady took up the empty seat beside me and said, "Hello, can I sit with you?"

Of course I had no right to decline and I just felt sociable at that time and replied, "Oh, yes, of course."

She thanked me as she hung plastic bags on the bus hook. She just bought strawberries and grapes. I know because she offered me some.

She started with small talk and I tried to be sociable because I'm rather introverted.

I found out that she lived near me, or rather she found out I lived near her so she asked me if I could help her carry her bags since we were going the same way.

I thought, "Why not?" I've always felt bad when I couldn't offer a helping hand to someone. Sometimes prolonged kindness just seems wrong. I mean, for example, you're sitting in a crowded train and an old lady comes. If you wait too long to offer your sit, people would wonder why you took too long or are you just showing off or something. Ok, I think too much and I end up not being as kind as I want to be. Maybe that's why they say it's harder to be kind nowadays.

Anyway, I helped her carry her bags all the way to Compasspoint and she insisted on buying me dessert as I had told her I had lunch. She hadn't and I thought I should accompany her. She treated me to hot milo as she told me stories of her family and also gave me some advice.

"In everything seek God first. Even when looking for girlfriend."

Exact words. Honestly do I look like I'm looking? Sorry to burst anyone's bubbles, but I'm not. Even though I think about it, I'm not going to act on it until maybe after A's. Nevertheless, good advice.

The day was really weird because I never expected to do a good deed for anyone. Especially for someone I just met.

-----

"Success is not measured by how happy you are but by how many people you make happy."

-MRT quote. (I think.)

No comments: