Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Music

Ben and me were on the train when we saw a blind man walk in.

He was carrying a big trolley, a walking stick, and a guitar.

I gained a kind of admiration for the blind man. Here was a man who cannot see but he does not let that get in his way.

I guess, maybe at first, if he was not born that way, he had to deal with the loss of his sight, but he overcame his handicap. Yet, to call it a handicap is also not fitting because from what I saw, he was in no way "handicapped".

What added to my admiration is what Ben told me. The man plays music around the Tampines area. Sometimes he would see the man with another blind man who plays the saxophone.

What hit me was that the blind guitarist and the blind saxophone player can be heard jamming together.

I asked if they knew each other; plan for a show or something. Ben said that they just start playing together. No words needed - just the music.

Music is a language that trancends many boundaries.

Deep, huh? Yah, that's why I'm writing it. =D

I guess what I'm trying to say is that music is a wonderful thing. It can bring people together just as the guitarist and saxophone player can just come together and start complimenting each other with their own music.

That being said, I'm sure many would want a chance to experience the wonders of music. Incidentally, coming up this May, there are many chances in SAJC to experience music.

May 4, 2006 Guitar Concert - Eurhythmy
Tickets are selling at only $5.
It's the first ever concert by the SAJC Guitar Ensemble and will be an event filled with music varying from classical, to contemporary, to rock, and to various other genres. It's an event not to be missed.

May 6, 2006 Band Concert - Saint Ascensio! (I think)
Tickets are selling at only $6.
It's a concert that features music from around the world. Take the journey and experience music from all over the world! It's sure to be an enriching experience. (Descriptions are from what I heard from Ben, if it's wrong, I apologize. Come look for me and I will direct you to Joel, the resident gangster.)

Music is power!

Ok, not really, but it's still good.

No comments: