Friday, November 25, 2005

Crush

So I woke up this morning and went to check my email. There was this email from some www.acrushonyou.com or something saying that someone has a crush on me.

I thought it was one of those lame ads or something. My curiosity got the better of me and I clicked on the link on the email.

The site allows me to guess who the supposed person is who has a crush on me. All I had to do was register (very fast process) and then after that they allowed me to type in the email of four people who I think might be the one who sent the email.

Interesting stuff really, so I opened up my msn and started skimming through the list of girls who I think might have done this. After filling in two emails I started thinking, there has to be more to this thing. There must be some sort of catch to this all.

I opened up another window from the site and clicked on FAQs. I started reading through them and found the question that made me lose interest in the whole thing.

Q. Why are the people Im guessing receiving emails?
A. We assume that the people you suggest are people that you like or are people that you want to have a crush on you; on your behalf we inform them via an anonymous email that someone has guessed them. This brings more visitors to our site which in turn helps our advertisers who keep us able in offering you this service.

What a way to get people into your site. Imagine waking up to get the email and realize it's not really a crush but just that someone thought you might have a crush on them. They do not really have a crush on you neither do they want you to have a crush on them but they put your name just to confirm that it's not you.

This can really cause a lot of misunderstanding. Interesting site, but I will not try and find out who the person is. I can forsee some outcomes from even trying.

1. Four girls will think I have a crush on them.
2. I find out that I am just a "guess" and that person might maybe like me.
3. I find out that I am just a "guess" and that person does not want to be liked by me.
4. I find out who the person is at the expense of three other girls thinking I have a crush on them.
5. I can think of a few more, but I am too lazy to put them down.

A warning to everyone who might want to try this site: There will be consequences if you do try.

Oh, and I opted to delete my name from the database. They said I will not be getting any more emails from them. Good riddance.

No comments: